Virginia Sports Betting: Unbiased Review (2023)
Virginia now has a total of 15 legal online sportsbooks and sports betting apps, including recent additions like bet365 and Betfred. The presence of multiple operators has created a highly competitive market, with FanDuel being recognized as the top sportsbook in the state. These operators offer attractive promotions, welcome bonuses, and sign-up offers worth up to $1,000. In this guide, we will provide an overview of the best sportsbook sites in Virginia sports betting, and provide step-by-step instructions on how to sign up for a Virginia sportsbook account.
Virginia Sports Betting History
Virginia’s journey towards legalized sports betting began in 2020 when the state legislature passed a bill to allow online sports betting within its borders. Governor Ralph Northam signed the bill into law, and by January 2021, sports betting became legal and regulated in Virginia. The move was motivated by the desire to generate revenue for the state and provide a safe and regulated environment for sports betting enthusiasts.
Virginia Sports Betting Rules and Regulations
To ensure fair and responsible sports betting practices, Virginia has established a set of rules and regulations that operators and bettors must abide by. Here are some key points:
- Age Restriction: The legal age for sports betting in Virginia is 21 years old. Anyone below this age is prohibited from participating in sports betting activities.
- Licensing: Sports betting operators must obtain a license from the Virginia Lottery, which oversees and regulates the industry in the state. The licensing process involves thorough background checks and adherence to strict financial and operational requirements.
- Geolocation: To place bets legally, individuals must be physically located within the borders of Virginia. Geolocation technology is employed to verify the user’s location and ensure compliance with this requirement.
- Responsible Gambling: Virginia emphasizes responsible gambling practices. Operators are required to provide tools and resources to help individuals manage their gambling activities, including setting deposit limits, self-exclusion options, and access to helplines for problem gambling.
- Taxation: Virginia sports betting operators in Virginia are subject to taxation. A 15% tax is imposed on their adjusted gross revenue, which contributes to the state’s budget.
Key Facts about Virginia Sports Betting
- Virginia officially launched sports betting in January 2021.
- Unlike many other states, Virginia started as an online-only sports betting market.
- Although online betting dominates, plans for retail sportsbooks are in progress as casinos are being constructed.
- Virginia law permits the issuance of 18 sportsbook licenses.
- The law also includes a provision allowing a relocating sports team to obtain a license.
- Wagering on games involving in-state college teams is prohibited by state law.
- Virginia law also restricts college prop bets.
- To participate in Virginia online sports betting, individuals must be at least 21 years old.
- The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Bristol was the first retail sportsbook to open in Virginia.
- Out of the five cities designated as potential casino locations, only Richmond declined to permit a venue within its city limits.
TOP Virginia SPORTS BETTING
DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $1,000 + $25 FREEPLAY
DEPOSIT $50 OR MORE & RECEIVE $200 FREE PLAY
CASINO DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $2,000
Popular Sports for Betting in Virginia
Virginia offers a wide range of sports for betting enthusiasts to indulge in. Here are some of the most popular sports options:
Football: As is the case in many parts of the United States, football holds a special place in the hearts of Virginians. Whether it’s the NFL or college football, fans can wager on their favorite teams and players.
Basketball: Basketball enjoys a significant following in sports betting Virginia, with both the NBA and college basketball capturing the attention of sports bettors. From March Madness to the NBA Finals, basketball provides ample opportunities for wagering.
Baseball: With the Washington Nationals being the closest Major League Baseball (MLB) team, baseball is another favored sport for betting in Virginia. From regular-season games to the World Series, baseball enthusiasts can place their bets and cheer for their teams.
Soccer: Soccer has seen a surge in popularity in recent years, and Virginia is no exception. Major international leagues like the English Premier League, La Liga, and the UEFA Champions League attract a considerable number of wagers.
Top Sportsbooks in Virginia Sports Betting
- DraftKings Sportsbook:
DraftKings Sportsbooks Virginia has established itself as a leader with its cutting-edge app, incorporating groundbreaking features. It was the inaugural sportsbook in the US to introduce early cash-out options, along with a betting carousel that suggests wagers based on users’ betting history. Nevertheless, there is potential for DraftKings to enhance its promotional offerings for current players.
- Caesars Sportsbook:
Caesars Virginia Sportsbook combines the forces of two major gambling brands, Caesars and William Hill. While Caesars may not offer groundbreaking sportsbook features, it provides a wide variety of bet types. The sportsbook is known for its generous bonuses, including a rewards program. However, compared to other prominent sportsbook apps, the Caesars app is relatively basic in its functionality.
- BetMGM Sportsbook:
BetMGM Sportsbook Virginia is the digital sports betting arm of MGM Resorts, a renowned global gambling conglomerate. It stands out by offering an extensive selection of sports to bet on, surpassing most other platforms. Moreover, BetMGM features the Edit My Bet function, granting bettors exceptional flexibility with open wagers, surpassing the offerings of nearly all other sportsbooks. However, certain sections of the app may pose challenges in terms of usability.
- BetRivers Sportsbook:
- FanDuel Sportsbook:
FanDuel, the inaugural Virginia sportsbook app to launch in Virginia, holds the exclusive partnership with one of the state’s two professional sports teams, namely the Washington Commanders. Aside from its user-friendly interface, FanDuel Sportsbook Virginia prominently features same-game parlays, distinguishing itself from other major sportsbooks. However, due to the overall smoothness of the app, any areas of inconvenience, such as player props, become more noticeable.
What You Can't Bet on in Virginia?
While Virginia sports betting offers a wide range of sports for betting, there are certain restrictions and prohibitions in place. Here are a few things you cannot bet on in Virginia:
- Collegiate Proposition Bets: Virginia prohibits betting on individual performances of college athletes, meaning you cannot bet on player statistics or other individual achievements in college sports.
- High School Sports: Betting on high school sports is strictly prohibited in Virginia. The state aims to protect the integrity of youth sports and ensure that students are not subjected to the pressures and risks associated with gambling.
- Non-Sporting Events: Virginia restricts betting on non-sporting events such as political elections, awards shows, and reality TV competitions. The focus of sports betting in the state is primarily on athletic competitions.
Virginia Sports Betting Offers and Bonuses
- DraftKings Sportsbook: Claim bonus bets of up to $1,200.
- Caesars Sportsbook: Redeem up to $1,250 using the code LSRFULL.
- BetMGM Sportsbook: Enter the code PLAY1000 for up to $1,000 in bonus bets.
- BetRivers Sportsbook: Utilize the code LSRRIV for a second chance bet up to $500.
- FanDuel Sportsbook: Enjoy up to $1,000 on your first bet with No Sweat promotion.
How to Start Betting in Virginia: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Select a licensed sportsbook:Conduct thorough research and read reviews of the 15 Virginia online sportsbooks available.Choose an operator that suits your preferences and download their sports betting app on your Apple or Android device.
- Register online: Open the downloaded app and sign up for a new account, a process that typically takes less than five minutes. Provide necessary personal information like your full name, address, email, date of birth, and social security number for identification purposes.
- Deposit and claim a bonus: Sync your bank information with your new account and choose your preferred banking method available in Virginia sports betting. Credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, and ACH bank wire transfers are all accepted at most sportsbooks in Virginia. Enter any necessary promo codes to redeem welcome bonuses when making your first deposit.
- Select and finalize your bet: Explore the different pages and options available on the Virginia online sports betting app. Choose from various bet types, including moneyline, point spread, point total odds, same-game parlays, live in-game betting, or futures odds. Use the bet slip to enter your desired wager amount and submit your bet.
- Win and withdraw your payout: After placing your bets, monitor your results and potential winnings. Once you have accumulated winnings or wish to withdraw funds, visit the cashier section of the app. Follow the withdrawal process, which typically takes a few business days for approval and funds to reach your account.
Virginia’s legalization of sports betting has provided a thrilling avenue for sports enthusiasts and bettors to engage in their favorite pastime. With a robust regulatory framework, responsible gambling measures, and a variety of sports to choose from, Virginia offers a safe and enjoyable sports betting experience. By understanding the history, rules, and popular sports for betting, as well as knowing how to get started, individuals can embark on their sports betting journey with confidence and excitement. Remember to bet responsibly, stay informed, and enjoy the thrill of Virginia sports betting within the boundaries of the law.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, sports betting is legal in Virginia. It was legalized in 2020, and the Virginia Lottery Board oversees the regulation and licensing of sports betting operators.
Yes, you can bet on college sports in Virginia. However, there are some restrictions on betting on college teams located within the state, as well as certain types of prop bets involving individual college athletes.
To place a sports bet in Virginia, you need to be at least 21 years old and physically located within the state’s borders. You can use licensed online sportsbooks or mobile apps to place your bets.
No, there are no specific limitations on the types of sports you can bet on in Virginia. You can wager on professional and college sports, as well as international sports events, as long as the sportsbook offers them.
Yes, Virginia has implemented responsible gambling measures for sports betting. Licensed operators are required to provide resources for problem gambling assistance and offer self-exclusion options to help individuals manage their gambling activities.