Unbiased PA Sports Betting Review (2023)
Welcome to our comprehensive PA sports betting review. In this guide, we will delve into the exciting world of sports betting in the Keystone State. Pennsylvania has emerged as a major player in the legal sports betting market, offering a wide range of options for enthusiasts to wager on their favorite sports. From professional leagues like the NFL, NBA, and MLB to college sports, there is something for everyone. Our review will highlight the top sports betting sites in Pennsylvania, exploring their features, promotions, odds, and legal compliance. Whether you’re a seasoned bettor or new to sports gambling, this review will help you make informed choices and enhance your overall betting experience in Pennsylvania.
PA Sports Betting History
In 2017, Pennsylvania passed legislation to allow for legalized sports betting.
- The Supreme Court’s ruling in 2018 in the case of Murphy v. NCAA opened the door for all states to legalize sports betting.
- Pennsylvania quickly took advantage of the ruling and became one of the first states to launch legal sports betting operations.
- The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board is responsible for regulating and licensing sportsbooks in the state.
- Pennsylvania now has a thriving sports betting market with numerous brick-and-mortar sportsbooks, online platforms, and mobile apps.
- The state’s progressive stance on sports betting has contributed to its popularity and the growth of the industry within its borders.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting Rules and Regulations
- Legalization and Regulatory Authority:
In 2017, Pennsylvania passed legislation to legalize sports betting.The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB) is the regulatory authority overseeing sports betting operations.
Licensing and Operator Requirements:
The Sports betting Pennsylvania operators must obtain a license from the PGCB to offer their services in Pennsylvania. Licenses are available for both online/mobile platforms and brick-and-mortar sportsbooks. Operators must meet strict eligibility criteria and undergo a thorough application process.
Age Restriction: The minimum age to bet on PA sports betting is 21. All bettors must provide valid identification to verify their age.
Types of Bets and Sports Offered:
Pennsylvania allows wagering on a wide range of sports, including professional and collegiate events. Bets can be placed on popular sports like football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and more.
Different types of bets are available, including moneyline, point spread, totals (over/under), parlays, teasers, and futures.
Geolocation and Responsible Gambling:
Online/mobile sports betting requires geolocation verification to ensure bets are placed within state borders. Operators are required to implement responsible gambling measures, including self-exclusion options, deposit limits, and access to resources for problem gambling.
Pennsylvania imposes a tax on sports betting revenue. The tax rate is set at a percentage of gross sports betting revenue and contributes to the state’s general fund.
Compliance and Consumer Protection:
PA sportsbooks must adhere to strict compliance measures, including fair gaming practices, secure transactions, and protection of customer information. The PGCB monitors and enforces compliance to ensure a safe and transparent sports betting environment for consumers.
PA Sports Betting Key Facts
- Pennsylvania legalized sports betting in 2017, subject to federal law changes.
- The first retail sportsbook opened in November 2018.
- Online sports betting PA became legal in May 2019.
- In August 2019, Pennsylvania sportsbooks recorded their first month with a handle surpassing $100 million.
- The state’s highest monthly handle to date was in January 2022, exceeding $794 million.
- The legal age for sports betting in Pennsylvania is 21 or older.
- Betting is allowed on college sports, including in-state teams, but player props on college athletes are prohibited.
- Betting on high school sports and entertainment-related events is not permitted in PA sports betting.
- Residency is not required to sign up or play, but bettors must be physically located within the state’s borders when placing bets.
- Individuals with close affiliations to leagues or teams are prohibited from wagering on their own sports.
Popular Sports for Betting in Pennsylvania
PA Sports betting has become popular since its legalization in 2017. Here are the popular sports for betting in Pennsylvania:
- Football: Professional and collegiate football, including point spreads, moneylines, over/under totals, and prop bets.
- Baseball: MLB, including individual games, series outcomes, player performances, moneylines, run lines, totals, and futures bets.
- Hockey: NHL and collegiate hockey, including moneylines, puck lines, totals, and futures bets.
- MMA: UFC events, including bets on the outcome of fights, round totals, method of victory, and various prop bets.
- Soccer: Major international soccer tournaments and local soccer leagues in sports betting PA, including domestic and international matches.
- Golf: Professional tournaments such as the Masters, U.S. Open, and PGA Championship, including outright winner bets, head-to-head matchups, and prop bets.
- Auto Racing: NASCAR and IndyCar races, including bets on race winner, top-three finishes, and head-to-head driver matchups.
- Tennis: Major tournaments such as Wimbledon, US Open, and Australian Open, including bets on match winners, set scores, total games, and prop bets.
- Boxing: Major boxing events featuring high-profile fighters, including bets on the outcome of fights, round totals, method of victory, and various prop bets.
- Esports: Emerging sports like League of Legends, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Dota 2, including bets on the outcome of matches, tournament winners, and various in-game metrics.
- Basketball: NBA and college basketball, including point spreads, moneylines, over/under totals, and prop bets.
TOP PENNSYLVANIA SPORTS BETTING
DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $1,000 + $25 FREEPLAY
DEPOSIT $50 OR MORE & RECEIVE $200 FREE PLAY
CASINO DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $2,000
Top Sportsbooks in PA Sports Betting
DraftKings Sportsbook :
DraftKings Sportsbook attracts customers with its welcome bonus and user-friendly betting platform. It offers features like live betting, betting pools, and a well-organized prop menu. However, the regular promotional offerings could be improved.
Bonus: Receive bonus bets of up to $1,200 with the use of a promo code.
Caesars Sportsbook :
Caesars Sportsbook has been operating in the PA sports betting market for nearly two years. The updated app features a visually appealing interface, the ability to adjust betting limits, and a wider range of available betting options. The impact of these changes on user experience will need to be monitored and evaluated over time.
Bonus: Access $1,250 on Caesars, along with 1,000 Reward Credits and 1,000 Tier Credits, using a promo code.
BetMGM Sportsbook :
BetMGM Sportsbook has gained popularity in Pennsylvania and is consistently among the top three sportsbooks in terms of betting volume. It provides a huge range of sporting events and betting possibilities. BetMGM also provides regular promotions. However, some users find that the website’s usability doesn’t match up to the quality of the app.
Bonus: Enjoy up to $1,000 in bonus bets as a reimbursement with the use of a bonus code.
BetRivers Sportsbook :
BetRivers benefits from its recognition as a local brand in Pennsylvania. Moreover, it provides sports bettors with access to one of the top rewards programs. The sportsbook provides a diverse range of sports and betting opportunities. However, there is room for improvement in terms of the website and app performance.
Bonus: Benefit from a second chance bet worth up to $500 by utilizing a bonus code.
- FanDuel Sportsbook : FanDuel Sportsbook consistently ranks among the top revenue-generating sportsbooks in PA sports betting. Its web and mobile platforms offer a seamless user experience, with easy access to all necessary features. Innovative features like same-game parlays have been well-received. However, regular players may desire more promotional offerings.
Bonus: Experience a worry-free initial bet of up to $1,000 with the use of a promo code.
Betway Sportsbook : Betway, a successful international sportsbook, is rapidly gaining traction in North American markets. Its app is user-friendly, offers competitive odds, and provides excellent live betting options. Betway also allows users to cash out winnings mid-game and offers live streaming for select events. However, some users have raised concerns about low withdrawal limits and session timeouts that require frequent sign-ins.
Bonus: New customers can receive a risk-free initial bet of up to $1,000 by entering a promo code at registration.
List of Legitimate Sportsbooks in PA
There are 13 legitimate online sportsbooks in PA sports betting as of 2023:
- Barstool Sportsbook
- BetAmerica Sportsbook
- Betfred Sportsbook
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- BetRivers Sportsbook
- Betway Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- FOX Bet
- BetPARX Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook
- Unibet Sportsbook
PA Sports Betting Additional Bonuses and Promotions
- Deposit Bonus: Sportsbooks offer a deposit bonus where they match a portion of your deposit, typically the first one, with site credits. However, bonus funds come with a playthrough requirement that must be fulfilled before you can withdraw them or any associated winnings.
- Odds Boosts: Sportsbooks provide odds boosts on specific bets, increasing the potential payout. These boosts result in larger profits if the bet is successful. It’s important to note that you still need to win the bet to benefit from the enhanced odds.
- First Bet Offers: With a first bet offer, you need to place a qualifying wager according to the sportsbook’s terms. If your bet wins, you receive the profit as usual. However, if you lose, the website will credit your account with an amount corresponding to a portion of your lost wager.
In conclusion, Pennsylvania’s legalization of sports betting in 2017 has transformed the state into a thriving market for both retail and online sportsbooks. PA sports betting provides plenty of opportunities for sports fans to participate in exhilarating wagering experiences with a wide range of sports available for betting, including professional and collegiate football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and more.
The state’s record-breaking handle and consistent growth in the industry demonstrate the popularity and success of Pennsylvania’s sports betting market. With ongoing promotional offers, deposit bonuses, odds boosts, and other enticing incentives, Pennsylvania continues to provide a dynamic and enjoyable environment for sports bettors in the state.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, sports betting is legal in Pennsylvania. It was legalized in 2017, and the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board oversees the regulation and licensing of sports betting operators in the state.
Sports bets can be placed at licensed sportsbooks in Pennsylvania, which include both retail locations at casinos and online platforms. There are several land-based sportsbooks and multiple online sports betting operators available in the state.
Yes, college sports betting is legal in Pennsylvania. However, there are restrictions on betting on college teams and events that take place within the state. This means you cannot bet on Pennsylvania college teams or any college events held within Pennsylvania.
No, there are no major restrictions on online sports betting in Pennsylvania. You can place bets through licensed online sportsbooks, which offer a wide range of sports markets and convenient access from your mobile devices or desktop.
The tax rate on sports betting winnings in Pennsylvania is 24%. This includes both federal and state taxes. If you win a substantial amount from sports betting, it’s important to be aware of your tax obligations and consult a tax professional for guidance.