Ohio Sports Betting: Uncovering Expert Review (2023)
Ohio sports betting has revolutionized the way sports enthusiasts engage with their favorite teams and events. With the recent legalization of sports wagering in the state, Ohioans now have access to a dynamic and exhilarating world of betting opportunities. From football to basketball, baseball to hockey, Ohio offers a diverse range of sports for fans to wager on. The introduction of regulated sportsbooks ensures a secure and fair betting environment, providing peace of mind for participants. As the excitement of sports betting continues to grow in Ohio, enthusiasts can immerse themselves in the action, combining their love for sports with the chance to win real money. Get ready to embark on a thrilling journey into the world of Ohio sports betting!
Ohio Sports Betting History
Ohio’s sports betting history began in 2018 when the Supreme Court overturned PASPA, granting states the authority to legalize sports wagering. Ohio took significant steps towards legalization in 2021 with the passage of House Bill 194. This legislation established the framework and regulations for sports betting in the state. The Ohio Casino Control Commission (OCCC) was designated to oversee and regulate the industry, ensuring compliance and providing a secure environment for bettors.
Ohio Sports Betting Rules and Regulations
In 2021, Ohio legalized sports betting through House Bill 194.House Bill 194 established the legal framework for sports wagering in the state.
The Ohio Casino Control Commission (OCCC) regulates and oversees sports betting operations.OCCC ensures compliance, issues licenses to operators, and enforces regulations.
Minimum Age Requirement:
Participants must be at least 21 years old to engage in Ohio sports betting.Age verification is mandatory during the registration process to prevent underage gambling.
Types of Wagers:
Ohio permits betting on professional and collegiate sports, including NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and NCAA.
Betting on high school sports and events involving participants under 18 is prohibited.
Sportsbooks must acquire licenses from the OCCC to operate legally in Ohio. Licensing process involves background checks, financial assessments, and adherence to operating standards.
Ohio emphasizes responsible gambling practices for sportsbooks. Operators must promote responsible gambling, offer problem gambling resources, and implement self-exclusion programs.
Ohio’s regulations prioritize consumer protection in sports betting in Ohio. Sportsbooks must ensure secure platforms for transactions and safeguard customer data. Dispute resolution mechanisms address issues between operators and bettors.
Ohio imposes taxes on sports betting revenue generated by operators. The specific tax rate is determined by the state legislature.
Popular Sports for Betting in Ohio
As a sports-loving state, Ohio sports betting offers a wide range of sports for betting enthusiasts. Among the most popular sports are:
- Football: With passionate fan bases for the Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals, football is a top choice for Ohio bettors. Betting options range from the NFL to college football, allowing fans to support their favorite teams while placing wagers.
- Basketball: Ohio has a rich basketball culture, including the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Ohio State Buckeyes. Betting opportunities are available for both professional basketball (NBA) and college basketball (NCAA).
- Baseball: The Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Guardians (formerly the Indians) attract avid baseball fans who can place bets on MLB games.
- Hockey: The Columbus Blue Jackets provide thrilling NHL action, making ice hockey a popular choice for sports bettors.
TOP OHIO SPORTS BETTING
DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $1,000 + $25 FREEPLAY
DEPOSIT $50 OR MORE & RECEIVE $200 FREE PLAY
CASINO DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $2,000
Popular Sportsbooks in Ohio
Top Legal Ohio online sports betting apps are listed below:
- Well-established daily fantasy sports provider in Ohio.
- Partners with Hollywood Casino Toledo.
- Unique features include custom bet slip and betting pools.
- Known for its live betting options.
- Offers promotions for new and existing users.
- Represents the renowned hotel and casino company in Ohio.
- Portfolio includes Eldorado Gaming Scioto Downs.
- Retail partnership with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Basic app design but provides a wide range of betting options.
- Recently introduced a horse betting app in Ohio.
- Represents MGM Resorts and owns MGM Northfield Park in Ohio.
- Features the “Edit My Bet” option for changing bets after submission.
- Popular for unique betting markets like table tennis and snooker.
- Clunky app navigation but offers a variety of sports and betting options.
- Expanding Ohio sportsbook with a partnership with Hollywood Casino Columbus.
- Stands out with one of the industry’s best rewards programs.
- Provides a diverse selection of sports and betting options.
- Mixed reviews on the platform’s overall performance.
- International sportsbook available in Ohio.
- Known for live wagers from around the world and obscure sports coverage.
- Offers options for editing bets.
- Secured an exclusive deal with the MLB’s Cleveland Guardians.
These top legal Ohio sports betting apps offer a range of features, partnerships, and betting options to cater to different preferences. While each app has its strengths and weaknesses, they provide an opportunity for Ohio residents to engage in legal and enjoyable sports betting experiences.
What You Can't Bet on in Ohio?
While Ohio has legalized sports betting, there are some restrictions on certain types of wagers. In general, Ohio prohibits betting on high school sports events and any contests involving participants under the age of 18. Additionally, the legislation restricts betting on esports events and non-sporting events such as political elections.
Ohio Sports Betting Bonuses and Promotions
Different types of bonuses and promotions are offered by sports betting apps in Ohio betting:
- No Deposit Bonus: A welcome bonus given to new players upon registration, providing site credits to try out the app.
- Deposit Bonus: The app matches a portion of the deposited amount with extra money, with varying percentages and limits.
- First-Bet Offer: Requires an initial deposit. If the first bet is lost, the app often matches the deposit with site credits.
- Rewards Programs: Loyalty programs that award points for every wager placed. Points can be used for rewards or redeemed in specialized stores.
- Odds Boosts: Manual inflation of selected bet payouts to generate action and increase potential winnings.
How to Get Started in Ohio Sports Betting?
Follow these steps to get started with Ohio sports betting:
- Choose a Sportsbook: Select a licensed and regulated online sportsbook or visit one of the retail sportsbooks in the state.
- Create an Account: Sign up for an account with the chosen sportsbook by providing the required personal information.
- Verify Your Identity: Complete the verification process to ensure compliance with state regulations. This typically involves providing a copy of your ID and proof of address.
- Make a Deposit: Fund your account using one of the available banking options (credit/debit cards, e-wallets, or bank transfers).
- Place Your Bets: Explore the wide range of betting options available and start placing your wagers on your favorite sports events.
The legalization of Ohio sports betting has opened up exciting opportunities for sports enthusiasts and bettors. To ensure a safe and legal experience, choose licensed sportsbooks, meet the minimum age requirement, and understand the rules. Select your preferred sportsbook, create an account, make a deposit, and explore the various betting options. Remember to gamble responsibly and within your financial means. Stay informed about updates in regulations. With these guidelines, enjoy the thrill of sports betting in Ohio while responsibly engaging in your favorite sports events.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, sports betting is now legal in Ohio after Governor Mike DeWine signed the bill into law on July 1st, 2021. However, the state still needs to establish rules and regulations before sports betting can commence.
It is unclear when sports betting will be available in Ohio. The Ohio Casino Control Commission is tasked with establishing rules and regulations for sports betting, and this process could take several months. It is estimated that sports betting could be available in Ohio by late 2022 or early 2023.
Ohio will allow all major types of sports betting, including in-person betting at casinos and racetracks, online and mobile betting, and betting on professional and collegiate sports.
The tax rate for sports betting in Ohio will be 10%. This is relatively low compared to other states with legalized sports betting.
Yes, betting on college sports will be allowed in Ohio. However, there will be restrictions on betting on in-state collegiate teams and events. Betting on high school sports will be strictly prohibited.