Unbiased Mississippi Sports Betting Review Bet Smart!
Welcome to our comprehensive review of Mississippi sports betting, where we dive into the exhilarating world of wagering on sports in the Magnolia State. Mississippi has established itself as a prominent destination for sports enthusiasts and bettors alike, offering a rich sports culture, passionate fans, and a favorable legal landscape.
In this blog post, we will explore the historical evolution of sports betting in Mississippi, uncover the rules and regulations governing the industry, highlight the popular sports for betting, discuss any restrictions, and provide a step-by-step guide to getting started. Our aim is to provide you with an in-depth understanding of the dynamic and thriving sports betting scene in Mississippi.
Stay tuned as we embark on this exciting journey, delving into the captivating world of Mississippi sports betting and uncovering the thrills and opportunities that await.
Mississippi Sports Betting History
Mississippi has a long history of gambling, and sports betting has become a natural extension of this culture. In August 2018, the state legalized sports betting after the United States Supreme Court lifted the federal ban on sports wagering (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992). This decision opened the doors for Mississippi to establish legal sportsbooks within its borders.
Mississippi Sports Betting Rules and Regulations
- In 2017, Mississippi legalized daily fantasy sports through the passage of HB 967, effectively removing the state’s prohibition on online sports betting.
- The US Supreme Court overturning the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act on May 14, 2018, opened the door for sports betting in Mississippi.
- The Mississippi Gaming Commission swiftly released draft regulations for sports betting Mississippi state.
- Sports betting must take place within Mississippi’s borders.
- Bets can only be placed in person at licensed Mississippi sportsbooks.
- The minimum age for sports betting in Mississippi is 21.
- There are no specific maximum limits on wagering for a single game or event.
- Mississippi allows betting on all sports and leagues, including college sports, but betting on high school sports is not permitted.
- The Mississippi Gulf Coast region, which suffered significant damage from Hurricane Katrina in 2005, is now the third-largest casino market in the US.
- Post-Katrina regulations allow the construction of casinos within 800 meters of the shoreline.
- Mississippi’s progressive approach to gambling, including the legalization of daily fantasy sports and prompt adoption of sports betting regulations, has solidified its position in the American gambling industry.
Popular Sports for Betting in Mississippi
Mississippi sports betting offers a wide range of sports for betting enthusiasts. The most popular sports for betting in the state include:
- College Football: With a deep-rooted passion for college football, Mississippi residents place significant wagers on games featuring teams like the Ole Miss Rebels and the Mississippi State Bulldogs.
- Professional Football: The National Football League (NFL) attracts a massive following in Mississippi. Betting on NFL games, including the Super Bowl, is a major highlight for sports bettors.
- Basketball: Mississippians also exhibit a keen interest in professional basketball, particularly the National Basketball Association (NBA). Betters often engage in betting activities during the NBA season, including playoffs and the finals.
- Baseball: Baseball, both at the college and professional level, is a beloved sport in Mississippi. Betting on Major League Baseball (MLB) games and college baseball tournaments garners significant attention.
TOP Mississippi SPORTS BETTING
DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $1,000 + $25 FREEPLAY
DEPOSIT $50 OR MORE & RECEIVE $200 FREE PLAY
CASINO DEPOSIT MATCH UP TO $2,000
Top Highlighting Sportsbooks in Mississippi Sports Betting
- BetMGM is currently the sole online sportsbook available in Mississippi online sports betting.
- Players at the Beau Rivage and Gold Strike Casinos can access the BetMGM sportsbook online while on the casino premises.
- BetMGM is a trusted and popular sportsbook operating in 20 states.
- It offers a wide selection of bets and bonuses, with a user-friendly desktop site and app.
- BetMGM provides a vast range of lines to bet on, along with daily specials and Lion’s Boost enhanced odds.
- FanDuel is already established in the space of online sports betting Mississippi as a daily fantasy sports platform.
- FanDuel will probably add a sportsbook to its lineup if online sports betting gains more popularity.
- FanDuel provides great value for sports bettors, often offering slightly higher returns compared to other sportsbooks.
- The site offers a variety of rewards, bonuses, and a focus on parlay betting.
- FanDuel’s single-game parlay builder allows players to place multiple lines on the same game.
- DraftKings is already available in Mississippi for daily fantasy sports.
- The brand is expected to enter the sports betting market if given the opportunity.
- DraftKings offers a comprehensive breakdown of events, including key statistics and insights.
- The sportsbook provides a range of bonuses, promotions, and daily special parlays.
- DraftKings offers articles highlighting their predictions and winners.
- Caesars, a renowned name in gambling, has expanded its online sports betting services to 14 states.
- Players can anticipate a large selection of rewards and promotions if Caesars opens in Mississippi.
- The sportsbook offers a variety of daily special parlays and enhanced odds bets.
- Caesars provides a vast selection of sports to bet on, with deep lines for each event.
- The sleek design and intuitive layout make it easy for players to find their desired bets.
What You Can't Bet on in Mississippi?
While Mississippi sports betting offers a wide range of sports for betting, there are certain restrictions on what you can’t bet on:
- High School Sports: It is illegal to place bets on high school sports events in Mississippi. This prohibition aims to protect young athletes from the potential negative effects of gambling.
- Non-Sporting Events: Mississippi does not allow betting on non-sporting events such as political elections or entertainment awards ceremonies.
How to Get Started in Mississippi Sports Betting?
Following are some steps to take if you want to begin sports betting in Mississippi:
- Select a Sportsbook : Research and compare different sportsbooks available in Mississippi sports betting. Check reviews and gather information from casino websites.
- Register Online (Optional) : Some sportsbooks may allow online registration before visiting the casino. Confirm if this option is available to you.
- Claim a Bonus : Look for any promotional offers or welcome bonuses available for new players. While extravagant bonuses may be limited, enticing offers can still be found.
- Deposit Funds : Confirm the payment methods accepted by the sportsbook in Mississippi sports betting. Make a deposit into your sports betting account, either online or at the casino.
- Choose Your Bet Types : Learn about the many available betting options. Options may include moneyline bets, over/unders, point spreads, parlays, live betting, teasers, and futures.
- Start Betting : Once you’ve done your research and selected a sportsbook, visit a physical sportsbook or sports betting kiosk at your chosen casino. Place your bets based on your preferred bet types and desired outcomes.
- Withdraw Funds : Visit the casino cage at the sportsbook if your bets are profitable and you want to withdraw your winnings. Be prepared with identification and inquire about any minimum or maximum withdrawal amounts.
Mississippi sports betting has emerged as an exciting and popular form of entertainment for sports enthusiasts. With its rich history, passionate fan base, and a wide range of sports to bet on, Mississippi offers a vibrant environment for bettors to engage with their favorite teams and players.
By understanding the rules and regulations, exploring the popular sports for betting, being aware of restrictions, and following the necessary steps to get started, individuals can enjoy the thrill of sports betting responsibly in Mississippi. Remember to bet within your means, conduct thorough research, and make informed decisions to enhance your overall experience.
As always, it is important to gamble responsibly and seek assistance if you or someone you know is struggling with gambling addiction.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, online sports betting is legal in Mississippi. It was legalized on August 1, 2018. However, online wagers can only be placed while physically present at casinos that have partnerships with BetMGM or Pearl River Sports.
The Mississippi Gaming Commission is responsible for overseeing sports betting in the state.
Sports betting is limited to water- and land-based casinos in Mississippi. The first two casinos to accept sports wagers were Beau Rivage in Biloxi and Gold Strike in Tunica. Currently, there are 28 properties in Mississippi that offer legal sports betting. All online bets must be made at a licensed casino within the state.
Anyone who is 21 years of age or older can legally bet on sports in Mississippi.
While mobile sports betting is allowed in Mississippi, it is only permitted when the bettor is physically present at a licensed casino.